Question: How do I find stock return in Datastream?
Answer: The return in Datastream is expressed as an index. The base date of the company is 100 and from there on the return evolves per day. The datatype for Return Index is RI. Usually the numbers for RI are very high.
The actual return is a percentual calculation of the differences per day of the RI. You can ask for this percentual return in Datastream as follows:
- Go to Time series request
- Enter a company or a list of companies
- Enter RI in the datatype field
- Click on the Fx button
- Search for the Percentage change, Period
- Leave X as is
- enter 1D or 1M for monthly
- Now you see this in the datatype field: RI,PCH#(X,1D)
The result now will be the index numbers of the return + the percentual change (= stock return)
You can also do this with a based return (= 100 on your start date). To do that you enter this in the datatype field